Every journey has a starting point:
- Every relationship began with a conversation.
- Every job had a first day.
- Every change in behavior had first uncomfortable moments trying something new.
- Every building started with an idea.
- Every degree was preceded by a first day of class.
- Every trip to Disney started by pulling out of the driveway.
- Every divorce started with a question.
- Every meal began with a recipe – some of them even written down.
- Every career started with curiosity.
- Every sermon starts with the realization that Sunday is coming, ready or not.
Look in the Bible. People there have starting points too:
- Noah had to cut the first board to build the ark.
- Abraham made to take the first step to go to the land God showed him – telling Sarah they were moving.
- Moses had to throw down his rod to find out God’s power.
- Joshua had to march around Jericho seven days to find out God would fight the battle.
- Ruth had to sneak up to the threshing floor and lay down beside Boaz to find out if he was interested in marriage.
- David had to take the first step out from the Israeli lines of battle to meet Goliath.
- Solomon made his first decision before he was known as the wisest man who ever lived.
- Peter, James, John, and Andrew had to take their first step away from their boats to follow Jesus.
- Paul had to confess he believed in the Jesus he thought he was a fraud before he could become a great missionary, theologian, and evangelist.
Too many people, I think, only focus on the finish line. They are overwhelmed before they begin, and feel defeated. They never start the journey of transformation.
Jesus didn’t ask you to take a next leap. He invites you to follow Him and that starts with a next step toward Him.
So what’s your starting point? What’s your next step?
- Decide for Jesus. Decide to follow him.
- Talk to someone about your decision for Jesus.
- Be baptized.
- Spend time getting to know Jesus.
- Learn to do life in community with believers.
- Learn to love people.
- Learn to love enemies
- Make friends who will be there at 3 AM for you.
- Heal your hurts.
- Call a counselor.
- Tell someone the truth about your world.
- Grow character habits.
- Pray for a minute.
- Read one story in the Bible every day.
- Give something.
- Tell someone your story.
- Do an act of kindness.
- Serve in a systematic way.
You have a Starting Point. You have a Journey. You have a next step.
Let’s get started.