It’s been six and half years since my step-father, Lawrence, passed away. He’s the only Dad I ever knew.
Funny the things that stick in your memory. Some of his sayings run through my mind:
- “Well, kiss my foot.”
- “I’m kicking, but not very high.”
- “They will start biting in a minute.”
- “It’s not dark yet. We can work a little longer.”
- “Always open the door for a lady.”
- “We need some rain – we must not be paying the preacher enough.”
- “Keep looking. It’s around here somewhere.”
- “Eat some more, or it will go to waste.”
- “Go get some gas at the barn for yourself; and fill up your sister’s car while you’re there.”
In every one of those sayings, he was expressing a conviction:
- “Well, kiss my foot” – I may have just fallen out of tangerine tree, but that’s no reason to start cussing.
- “I’m kicking, but not very high” – I’m old and I’ve got pain, but I’m still here.
- “They will start biting in a minute” – If you do what you love (like fishing), there’s never enough time.
- “It’s not dark yet. We can work a little longer” – Don’t quit working till the job is done, even if you have to push a little harder.
- “Always open the door for a lady” – Habits of courtesy and kindness pay off.
- “We need some rain – we must not be paying the preacher enough” – You need someone to pray for God to intervene.
- “Keep looking. It’s around here somewhere” – don’t give up. Persist. You will find it only if you are looking.
- “Eat some more, or it will go to waste” – Waste equals being a bad steward.
- “Go get some gas at the barn for yourself; and fill up your sister’s car while you’re there” – If you are doing for yourself, take time to something for somebody else.
Your Father in Heaven has some sayings that express His convictions too:
- “I am the God of grace and compassion.”
- “Love your enemies, do good to those who push against you.”
- “I am the vine, you are the branches. Only if you stay attached to me to bear the fruit I designed you to bear.”
- “By grace you are saved, not by anything you do, so you can’t brag about it. I paid the price for you to be forgiven.”
- “I loved the whole world so much I gave my one and only Son so everyone who believes in him can have a forever life worth living.”
- “Peace I give to, my peace I leave with you. Not peace like the world gives (temporary). Be encouraged – I have overcome the world.”
Your Father’s words to you are worth remembering, too.