Some thoughts about walking with Jesus during this Election Season:
- Non-Jesus followers often get turned off by Jesus followers campaigning for a candidate harder than they ever work for Jesus. Big disconnect.
- Both Trump and Clinton are evil people. So are you. So am I. It’s part of the whole “All have sinned” thing of Romans 3:23. Trump and Clinton need a Savior, just like me. And you.
- Only Jesus can bring you peace and satisfy your soul. Don’t expect any politician to do that.
- If I am a Jesus follower, I want to speak in such a way so that people say “You know, that sounds like something Jesus would say.”
- If Jesus isn’t challenging my politics, chances are good either I am not listening, or I’m trying to hide something.
- Politicians knows that anxiety and anger are powerful motivators in an election. Our Savior told us: “My peace I leave with you,” “Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe in me,” and “Do not say to your brother ‘You fool’ or you will be in danger of hell fire.”
- As a Jesus follower, I am need to be just like Jesus: kind, compassionate, and forgiving. That means I am ready to forgive Trump and Clinton. I will have compassion for Democrats and Republicans.
- Jesus followers know that elections impact the short-term. Long term, we know the outcome.
- It only takes 10% of a group to change the behavior of the whole group. What would happen if 30 million Jesus followers took Jesus seriously this election and lived out Ephesians 4:29-32? We might change the whole country!