Sunday, I got to do Ministry by Wandering Around or MBWA. Some of you will recognize this idea is adaptation from Tom Peters and his concept of Management by Wandering Around. Jock was preaching so I had the great opportunity to drop into classes, visit with volunteers, and marvel at what a great church ADBC is.
- I read “Llama, Llama, Zippity Zoom, to the preschoolers at 8:30.
- I visiting with the Parking Lot volunteers – they do amazing ministry. Do you have any idea how many people come on and off the campus on a Sunday? These parking lot volunteers make sure they are greeted with a smile.
- I visited classes during the 9:45 hour. There are some remarkable volunteers who are building community and teaching God’s word. Among the discussions I dropped in on: “Isn’t better to love atheists than hate them? (Yes!),” “Who wrote Hebrews? (the guy who wrote it),” and “Boy there is a lot people who are deceiving each other in Genesis (Yep – starts with the serpent, goes right through to Joseph’s brothers).”
- Loved helping three boys learn a memory verse in the second grade group: “For you are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for you to do” – Ephesians 2:10. Interesting – only the girls were reciting the verse until I came in and encouraged the boys. Never under-estimate the power of a man encouraging a boy!
- I was invited into the Special Needs class to sign Bibles for two members of the group who were baptized last Sunday. They also showed me their prayer list and told me I was at the top of the list each Sunday. Humbling.
- I spoke with one of our members who was eagerly waiting for two families she had invited to church.
- I saw the head of our greeter ministry do a great job recruiting someone to be a greeter by telling her, “You have a welcoming smile!”
- I surprised the Tech crew in the balcony by singing loudly. What impressed me was they were singing too while making sure all the words were up and the lights were on.
- I got two hugs from two different girls in the Kindergarten group.
- I saw amazing volunteers in Children’s ministry lead our kids in worship. Everyone, even the boys, were excited!
If you are a pastor, or a leader of any kind, never underestimate the value of Ministry by wandering around. I was reminded I pastor a “way cool” church!