- Deal in Reality. Get the facts: how much do you make? How much do you spend? What are your future needs? Get a plan to save and get out of debt. Get encouragement. Get forgiveness from Jesus for financial mistakes. Proverbs 14:15 – Gullible people believe anything, but the wise one understands where he is going.
- Save Wisely. Think about the future. You need an emergency fund – 3 to 6 months of living expenses. Save for major purchases and pay cash. Save for retirement and college. Live below your income. Proverbs 21:20- Valuable treasure and abundance are in the home of the wise one, but the stupid man gulps down everything he gets.
- Earn Diligently. Part of God’s purpose for you is to take responsibility for your life. Earn as much as you ethically can. Wealth and savings are not sinful, but part of being wise. Proverbs 12:11 – The one working his land is filled with bread, but the one who pursues an empty life lacks heart.
- Spend Carefully. Lifestyle doesn’t define your worth as a person. Jesus does. Don’t live a life of pretend or spend to meet an emotional need – THAT NEVER WORKS! Proverbs 13:7 – There is one who lives the rich life, but has nothing at all; and there is one who looks poor – and he has a lot of wealth.
- Give Generously. People who give feel better about themselves. Give because it breaks the power of greed. Give because givers have healthier souls. Proverbs 11:24 – There is one who is generous with seed – and he prospers; then there is one who holds back what is right – and he winds up needy.
Bottom Line: Are you wise or foolish about money?